After a long day, sometimes I need a laugh. I turn to a funny website, My Life Is Average, a site whose intent is for people to post mundane things that happen in their lives. It has transformed into more of a commentary on crazy, strange things that happen in life but is still entertaining. Recently, some of the things people have submitted are strange laws in their state. Thus, I was inspired to take a look into some of Indiana’s crazy state laws.
10. Baths cannot be taken between the months of October and March.
Seeing as how people are stuck inside most of the time during these months, I would imagine this could lead to some terrible smelliness. At least taking a shower appears to be legal.
9. Men are prohibited from standing in a bar.
Better sit down next time you’re at Passtimes or Franklin House.
8. Pedestrians crossing the highway at night are prohibited from wearing tail lights.
Well shoot. I love dressing up like my car. There goes that idea.
7. In Warsaw, no one may throw an old computer across the street at their neighbor.
You know someone had to have done this in order for it to be a law. You don’t make that a law just because.
6. In South Bend, it is illegal to make a monkey smoke a cigarette.
I’m not sure why this law was necessary. Do people often make their pet monkeys smoke cigarettes? What about cigars?
5. In Elkhart, it is illegal for barbers to threaten to cut off kid’s ears.
No wonder kids cry when they get their hair cut. They fear for their ears.
4. Mustaches are illegal if the bearer has a tendency to habitually kiss other humans.
I’m ok with this law.
3. In Indianapolis, one may only throw a stone at a bird in self-defense.
Guess those pigeons are pretty intense in the city.
2. In Gary, within four hours of eating garlic, a person may not enter a movie house, theater, or ride a public streetcar.
This should DEFINITELY be enforced.
1. If any person has a puppet show, wire dancing or tumbling act in the state of Indiana and receives money for it, they will be fined $3 under the Act to Prevent Certain Immoral Practices.
I hate puppets. They are terrifying. This law should be enforced as well.
Here are some more strange laws from other states:
Alabama: It is illegal for your children to do chores on Sunday unless they are “duties of daily necessity or comfort”
Alaska: It is illegal to have salt on your dining room table.
Arizona: You can legally be younger than your adopted child, any person 21 years or younger can be adopted. Anyone 18 or older can adopt.
Arkansas: It is illegal to have scrap iron within 200 yards to and visible from a state-designated memorial highway. If the iron cannot be moved, a fence must be built so the iron cannot be seen.
Connecticut: A tavern may not sell whiskey.
Delaware: Geologists must be licensed in order to practice in their field.
Hawaii: It is legal to commit a crime provided you only violate the law a little bit, “De minimis” infractions.
Idaho: It is illegal for one spouse to abandon the other and leave them destitute. The husband can be punished for doing this but the wife cannot.
Iowa: Military personnel are exempted from working on election day
Kansas: The militia is made up of every man between 18 and 45 except those excluded by law
Kentucky: If you want to sell fowl less than two months of age, you must sell a minimum of 6.
Louisiana: Stealing a pet alligator from somebody may result in a fine of $3000 and up to ten years in prison, possibly at hard labor.
Maryland: It is illegal to sell contraceptives through vending machines at nursery schools.
Massachusetts: It is illegal to injure ice.
Minnesota: It is illegal for a retail store to sell flour in a 6 lbs bag.
For more crazy laws click here