This is the first year that Gary Atherton, Director of Porter Regional Hospital’s Emergency Medical Services Department, did not coordinate his annual EMS Week Breakfast Banquet. It was always a day he dedicated to recognizing the merits of his staff. This time the EMS team spent their morning commemorating their leader, who passed away on January 13, 2016.
Michael Triem survives severe hypothermia after kayak accident
“Expect the best, prepare for the worst” that could be the unofficial mantra of first responders and medical personnel at hospitals and health institutions.
JSYK, November is National Running Safety Month, but people don't stop running when that month is over. What does that mean exactly? Well, running is a popular sport here in NWI, and people can be seen running outside at all hours, all throughout the year.
Over 150 students gathered today at Morgan Township Elementary School to celebrate the Red Ribbon Week Kick-Off event. Porter County Substance Abuse Council President and Ogden Dunes police officer Timothy E. Beach led the rally by identifying reasons why making good choices have life-long implications.
Heatstroke is one of the leading causes of death among children. On average, 38 children die from heat related injuries after being left in hot cars each year. Even the best of parents or caregivers can unknowingly leave a sleeping baby or quiet toddler in a car. New parents suffer from exhaustion due to lack of sleep, stress, and changes in their normal routine.
Meet Michael Stenger, New President of New President of Franciscan St. Margaret Health and Franciscan Healthcare-Munster
Franciscan Alliance is one of the largest medical entities in Northwest Indiana with multiple locations dotting the region. Thousands of people are under its employ, and one of the newest additions is Michael Stenger, president and CEO of Franciscan St. Margaret Health, with campuses locations in Dyer, Hammond, and Franciscan Healthcare in Munster.
An announcement was made on June 12, 2015 that will save hundreds of lives in the future in Northwest Indiana. Porter County Community Foundation, Porter Regional Hospital, Porter-Starke Services, Fagen Pharmacy and Empower Porter County came together at Porter Regional Hospital to announce the expansion of the availability of the innovative and life changing Naloxone rescue kits to all Porter County police departments.
Summer is here and you want to get yourself and your animals outside! But there are some things to remember when it comes to keeping your four-legged family members safe and healthy during the summer months. Below are some dos and don’ts for animal safety.
Children Act Fast….So Do Poisons!
Poisoning occurs when any substance interferes with normal body functions after it is swallowed, inhaled, injected, or absorbed and is now the leading cause of death from injuries in the United States, as reported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A poison can be any substance that is used in the wrong way, by the wrong person, or in the wrong amount.