The Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) is preparing for another busy flu shot season. Influenza (flu) is a serious disease of the nose, throat, and lungs. It can make you sick for a week or longer with coughing, fever, aching, and more. It can lead to pneumonia and make already existing health problems such as diabetes, asthma, and heart disease worse. Each year in the U.S. about 36,000 people die from flu-related causes. Getting a flu shot is the BEST way to protect yourself and your loved ones from the flu.
The VNA will offer the FDA approved vaccine protecting against the three viruses predicted by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to be circulating this year. They are A/California (the H1N1 strain), A/Victoria and B/Brisbane viruses. This year drug manufacturers were able to make the H1N1 vaccine part of the seasonal immunization vaccine.
For the past 17 years, the VNA, a nonprofit organization, has provided flu shot immunizations to the community, often staffed by nurses who volunteer their time as part of their contribution to community health.
The first VNA Flu Shot clinic will be held at the Porter Stay Healthy Fair on October 2, from 12 noon to 4 pm, at the Porter County Expo Center located at Route 49 and Division Road in Valparaiso. Upcoming flu shot clinics include Monday, October 3rd from 8:30 am to 11:30 am at the First United Methodist Church, 103 N. Franklin in Valparaiso; Sunday, October 10th from 7:30 am to 11:30 am at St. Paul Catholic Church, 1855 W Harrison Blvd in Valparaiso and, Tuesday, October 12th from 10 am to 1 pm at Hebron Community Center, 611 Main in Hebron.
Flu shots cost $30 or presentation of a Medicare Part B card. Ticket numbers will be distributed on a first come, first served basis at VNA flu shot clinic sites. The VNA is able to vaccinate persons 9 years old and older.
For a complete list of flu shot clinics, check the VNA website at www.vnaportercounty.org, or the Flu Clinic Locator at www.vnaa.org. You may also call the VNA Flu Phone at 219-531-8088 for additional updates and information.
- Sunday, October 2 - 12 pm to 3 pm - Porter Expo Health Fair - 215 E. Division - Valparaiso
- Monday, October 3 - 8:30 am to 11:30 am - First United Methodist Church - 103 N. Franklin - Valparaiso
- Sunday, October 10 - 7:30 am to 11:30 am - St. Paul Catholic Church - 1855 W Harrison Blvd - Valparaiso
- Tuesday, October 12 - 10 am to 1 pm - Hebron Community Center - 611 Main -
- Hebron Friday, October 15 - 9 am to 12 pm - Bonner Senior Center - 5800 Lexington - Portage
- Thursday, October 21 - 2 pm to 4 pm - Miller's Assisted Living - 5911 Lute Road - Portage
- Tuesday, October 26 - 9 am to 11 am - Duneland Resale Shop - 801 Broadway - Chesterton
- Wednesday, October 27 - 6:30 am to 9 am - Valpo High School Field House Lobby - 2727 Campbell St - Valparaiso
- Sunday, October 31 - 12:30 pm to 4 pm - Valpo YMCA, BOO THE FLU - 1201 Cumberland Crossing Dr - Valparaiso
- Saturday, November 6 - 8 am to 12 pm - First Christian Church - 1507 Glendale Blvd - Valparaiso
- Wednesday, November 10 - 3 pm to 5 pm - Campbell Street Café - 4345 Meridian Drive - Valparaiso