The Northwest Indiana Workforce Board is pleased to announce that on August 1, 2018 Governor Holcomb’s first-appointed Secretary for Career Connections and Talent, Blair Milo, will visit Rensselaer and Knox to discuss changes in the economy and workforce and implementing solutions for Hoosier students, workers and employers.
Developing a 21st Century skilled and ready workforce is one of five pillars in Governor Holcomb’s agenda to take Indiana to the Next Level as over a million job openings are expected over the next ten years.
To build a 21st Century workforce, Hoosier education and workforce systems must be aligned to:
- Provide every Hoosier student with an effective baseline education infused with STEM, intellectual curiosity, critical thinking and other attributes that prepare them for lifelong learning
- Ensure students graduate high school ready to go to college, pursue meaningful training and employment in a field of their choice, and/or with the skills to go directly into a quality job
- Connect working age adults to education and career training that is aligned to industry needs and leads directly to employment
“The nature of work across all industries is changing faster than ever before due to new technology, global connectedness, an aging workforce and many other worldwide trends. Collaboration between families, industry, education, and community has never been more critical to ensure equal opportunity for a successful career keeps pace with the rate of change,” says Secretary Milo.
Secretary Milo is connecting with local and regional leaders across the state to grow alignment and collaboration tailored to community needs.
Secretary Milo invites you to join her during her visit to:
- Review a county-wide snapshot with the most recent county-specific data displaying: current job vacancies by industry with associated wages and educational requirement; future job demand forecasts; and county demographics including self-sufficiency wages and labor force trends.
- Identify state, regional and local assets to assist with improving career connections and closing current gaps.
- Identify what’s working well and what changes could/should be pursued to inform a regionally or locally driven talent pipeline.
The Jasper County meeting takes place from 9-10:30 a.m. Central in the Carnegie Center at 301 North Van Rensselaer Street, Rensselaer, IN. RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/jasper-county-meeting-with-secretary-blair-milo-tickets-47516525206
The Starke County meeting takes place from 1-2:30 p.m. Central in the Nancy J. Dembowski Community Center at 55 East Lake Street, Knox, Indiana 46534. RSVP here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/starke-county-meeting-with-secretary-blair-milo-tickets-47359351094
For more information, call 219-462-2940.
2804 Boilermaker Ct., Ste. E Valparaiso, IN 46383
Visit Center of Workforce Innovations Partner Profile